The commonest cause of hair loss in both women and men is genetics. In fact, 95 percent people experience baldness due to heredity while the remaining 5 percent baldness problems occur due to a number of things including stress, illness, dies and medications.

Our world class dermatologists at Institute of Plastic & Cosmetic Surgery offer effective solutions for hair loss problems. Our cosmetic surgeons are equipped with all modern equipments and specialize in cutting edge hair loss treatments.

Causes

Factors that may cause hair loss include:

Medications, minerals, or vitamins: Drugs which are used for treating high blood pressure, depression, heart problems or gout can cause baldness. High levels of vitamin A or low levels of protein or iron, and birth control pills, for women, cause hair loss.

Illness: Sever infections, thyroid, or flu; fungus infections such as ringworm of the scalp can cause baldness

For women, childbirth can cause temporary hair loss largely due to the changes that take place in the body. In some cases, children or adults may have a condition known as trichotillomania, in which there is a compulsion to pull out scalp hair, eyelashes, or eyebrow hair.

Treatments

Propecia and Rogaine are the only approved drugs that can be used for treating hair loss resulting from the hereditary causes. Rogaine is a topical solution applied directly it onto the scalp where hair growth is desired. Only about 10 to 14 percent of the people who try this treatment experience hair growth. However, the lotion can help to slow hair loss.

Propecia is the best pill that can treat male patter hair loss. It is required to be given under a doctor’s care. If treatment is discontinued results may not be maintained.

Permanent hair loss may also be treated through hair replacement procedures, such as hair transplantation methods, and scalp reductions. Common hair transplantation methods include slit grafting, micro-grafting, and punch grafting etc.

The type of hair loss and patient’s conditions and desire determine which procedures are most suitable.

Locations